Sunday 31 August 2014

Secret Cinema | Back To The Future

Back To The Future is one of those fabulous Sunday films you can watch a million times and always get swept up in the 80's hairstyles and 50's glamour. So whilst I'd known about Secret Cinema events for a while, it wasn't until this one rolled around that I actually stumped up the cash for one. On the 1st August myself, Tomas and my friend Nancy took the DeLorean with flux capacitor set to our destination - Hill Valley circa 1955!

Getting ready for this evening was an event in itself. From the frocks to pomade slicked hair, I have to say this was definitely an era we all relished taking part in (and, let's be honest we all have wished we could dress like this every day!) We were each assigned characters to play (this didn't amount to anything in the end but it was a nice quirk I guess) and luckily we all became High School Seniors going to the Enchanted Under The Sea Dance. Fabulous! So for the evening Nancy became Joan, Tomas turned into Richard and I to 'Shaquanna Nettles'. Yeah I'm not sure I quite fitted the persona either!

The town had everything from a diner serving Byron burgers and shakes to Hill Valley High School where a real-life prom was being held, with swing dancers aplenty. There was a promenade of shops where you could pick up a tonne of vintage goodies or make yourself a little crafty souvenir to remember the night. To top it off there was even a working fun fair. Of course the graphic designer in my boyfriend ensured we walked away with a hand printed, super cool letter press poster for our flat. Nancy and I however were smitten with the corsage stool and enjoyed glue-gun-fun making high quality wrist foliage! 

I think though one of the big highlights of the night had to be our time spent as cheerleaders, all three of us really showed off our moves but for some reason only Nancy & I were documented shaking our pom poms..!


Genuinely, though expensive, for the immersive experience you get in going back to the 1950's this was totally worth it. There was definite room for improvement with certain aspects of crowd control, technical hitches during the show (we went to the second performance so there were a few rough edges) and for out of towners' the journey to deepest darkest Hackney was a little much, but overall the night gets a 7/10 from me.

Did any of you folks make your way down to this event? I know this attire would work perfectly for the Goodwood Revival which I went to last year so definitely let me know if you rate our 1950's get ups!

Lily x

P.s. Sorry for the blogging break! Life got a little bit crazy for a few weeks, there was a storm which took out our internet for 2 weeks too but I promise not to leave it this long again! 



2 comments:

  1. This looks like such an amazing experience! Back to the Future is one of my favourite films of all time so I'm quite sad that I missed this! I giggled at Shaquanna Nettles, not sure it is the most suited name for you either :P

    hellomissjordan.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how much fun this looks! Where did you find out about this event? This is the kind of thing which would have me squealing like a little kid! I really like how authentic it all looks. x

    Lola and Behold

    ReplyDelete